Did you know that the following items are harmful to your pet??
- Onion and garlic – can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, anaemia and asthma attacks.
- Caffeine (i.e. coffee & tea bags) – can cause restlessness, heart palpitations and can be fatal
- Chocolate – contains theobromine which can cause rapid heart rate, vomiting, diarrhoea, muscle tremors, restlessness, nerve damage and can be fatal
- Macadamia nuts – causes vomiting, lethargy, muscle tremors and temporary paralysis
- Avocado – contains a dangerous toxin that can damage the heart, lungs and tissue
- Nutmeg – can cause dogs to suffer from tremors, seizure and can be fatal
- Dairy (i.e. milk, cheese, yogurt) – can cause diarrhoea and can lead to pancreatitis
- Mushrooms – can cause liver and kidney damage if consumed. They may also cause abdominal pain, drooling, vomiting, diarrhoea, convulsions, coma and can be fatal
- Sultanas/raisins and Grapes – can cause kidney failure.
- Cooked bones – if consumed can splinter and cause a full or partial obstruction in your pet’s gastrointestinal system
- Raw egg, raw chicken & raw fish – may contain bacteria such as salmonella that causes vomiting, diarrhoea, high temperature and lethargy
- Stone fruit pips – if consumed can get caught and cause a full or partial obstruction in your pet’s gastrointestinal system
- Fatty meats (e.g. ham & bacon)– can cause pancreatitis or a gastrointestinal upset as too fatty for your pet to handle
- Socks, underwear and women’s sanitary items – if consumed can get caught in your pet’s gastrointestinal system
- Elastic bands, string/ribbon, plastic bags – if consumed can get caught in your pet’s gastrointestinal system
- Pain relief medications e.g. nurofen or paracetamol – can cause liver damage, kidney damage, anaemia, stomach ulcer, vomiting/diarrhoea, bleeding and clotting problems, seizures and can be fatal
- Human vitamin supplements – can be toxic to the liver and damage the lining of the stomach
- Household chemicals such as fertilizer, snail and rat bait, antifreeze, cleaning products containing ammonia etc. (even if listed as pet friendly!) – can lead to internal bleeding, convulsions and will be fatal unless treated
- Insecticides – flea washes and powders (toxic to cats)
- Lilies (cats) – the leaves, flowers and pollen are toxic to cats and cause renal (kidney) failure if exposed to it. This can be fatal
- Poisonous plantsg. azaleas, hydrangeas, foxglove, poinsettias, etc.
If you suspect your pet has ingested any of these items, please contact local Ivanhoe Veterinary Clinic immediately on 9499 3691.
NOTE: If you still have the packet or wrapper of the toxic item, bring this to your appointment as it can be quite handy in determining the level/extent of toxicity.